Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Going continental

So, today I've gone totally continental style, and no, that isn't the name of the latest dance craze! I'm usually quite a slow knitter, hence the reason for purchasing the knitting machine last year, but I really enjoy the process of knitting. So, I decided that I would try my hand at continental style knitting, where the yarn is held in the left hand rather than in the right! I watched several you tube videos of the technique and decided to give it a try. Apart from the fact it's supposed to be quicker, it's also supposed to be better for the arms and wrists.

I'm still trying to master the basics and admittedly it probably would have been quicker for me to knit my regular way but its been fun trying something new. It's amazingly difficult to have to re-learn something you're already pretty au fait with, but already I'm seeing the difference in the purl stitches. In the videos I have watched on you tube, the ladies seem to do a pretty weird twisty thing to form a purl stitch where I've just found it pretty normal, no weirdness at all and thankfully I'm getting pretty zippy! Tension is something that I've still got to master, mines a bit all over the place at the minute so the stitches look a bit uneven but hopefully ill have it down within the next couple of days and my meagre 30 rows of an evening will be considerably more =D

I have found a picture tutorial on the continental method in case you want to try it yourself at the end of this post. Also, if you you tube " fast knitting" you should watch some of those ladies go!! Whew!! I bet they could knit a whole jumper in an evening!!! Lol

Well have fun, it's always good to try something new xxxx


*shoot it won't let me upload a photo
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=continental+knitting&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uMn1UOWnAsa50QWshICQCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=416#i=9 try this link though *

No comments: