Monday, 7 January 2013

Eating is cheating :: the 5:2 diet

Ok so just before Christmas a friend of mine posted a picture of toast spread with Nutella and peanut butter and mentioned 'diet' so I was immediately hooked on the idea that a 'diet' could include this vision of loveliness! He pointed me in the direction of the "feast and fast diet" or 5:2 diet where you basically eat normally for five days a week and on 2 non consecutive days you "fast" and are allowed to eat 500 calories (600 if you're a guy) for the day. I decided to give it a go for a month and see how I fared, if I loose weight, fab I will stick with it, if not well, it's not too much hassle on my part.

So far everything is going good! I managed to loose about 3-4 lbs in my first week of doing the diet. It's not like a normal diet, I don't feel hungry all the time or that I'm missing out on anything, it's quite flexible so you can mix up your fast days to suit you, I tend to find days when I'm normally quite busy are easier to fast on because I'm not thinking about food all day. I'm only on my second week, but I've already picked u some good tips :
Saving some of my calorie allowance for a couple of coffees really helps!
Planning fast day meals ahed helps, if you have to google food and calories it makes you reallllly hungry!
Stock up on fat free yoghurt - it's your low calorie friend!
Strawberries are really low in calories and you can eat quite a lot of them and they are yummy and sweet!
Diet coke is low in calories if you struggle drinking water.

There are also loads of other health benefits besides weight loss associated with the diet, if you live in the uk, horizon did a programme about the concept last year with some amazing results! If you google you can find some more info, plus lots of recipes from other bloggers. I tend to ski breakfast anyway and spread my calories out between lunch and dinner but some people find it easier to have one big meal, it's down to you and how you feel comfortable. The thing I love most about this is that it doesn't really feel like a diet because its only two days a week, you can ride the hunger waves by thinking of tomorrow, I know it's early days but finding it really easy to stick to so far and I'm seeing results quickly. Bizarrely I haven't felt sluggish or moody or overly hungry and the day after my fast days I haven't over eaten or felt ravenously hungry, if anything my appetite is getting smaller, which can only be a good thing right?!

I will keep you up to date with my efforts
Take care my amigos xxx

No comments: